Microsoft Excel Course
What You Will Learn
This course covers all of Excel’s essential features and shows you how to use the program to prepare budgets, manage and analyze data, and make charts. Class discussion and hands-on exercises teach you to —
- Use mouse shortcuts for “drag-and-drop” editing and Autofill,
- Write and edit formulas,
- Autofill formulas and specify absolute cell references,
- Insert and delete rows and columns, set column width and row height and merge cells,
- Set font, size and style for text,
- Align, wrap and rotate text,
- Add cell borders and cell shading,
- Set number formats,
- Specify print options, including page size, orientation, print area, headers and footers, rows and columns to repeat and output scaling,
- Sort and filter data,
- Use the Autosum and If functions, and
- Create, edit and format charts.
- Live class with trainer in class and interactive student participation,
- Exercise-based, hands-on instruction,
- Emphasis on questions and student participation,
- Small size (limited to 8), personal attention.
Why You Should Take This Class
Excel has a lot of power under the hood, but you have to know how to use it to take advantage of all it can do. This workshop not only shows you HOW, but also explains WHY so you can apply what you learn to your own projects.
The goal is to show you how to harness the power of Excel to get your work done efficiently.
The course will answer the following questions:
- How do I write an Excel formula?
- What and where are my options for formatting worksheet cells and their contents?
- Why do Excel formulas sometimes have dollar signs to make cell references absolute, and when should I use them?
- How can I sort and filter worksheet data?
- What is the easiest way to make a chart from data?
Due to social distancing, all training currently is given as live, on-line video conferences (details)
Dates and Registration
No prior Excel experience is required, but students should have a working knowledge of mouse and menu-based computer applications, and the Windows or Macintosh operating system.
Related Classes and Consulting
There is an Advanced Excel class for people who want to go to the next.
Consulting, private classes and one-on-one training are also available. Our Excel Topics Page offers suggestions of subjects for private classes and one-on-one sessions. If you’re interested in something that’s not listed, let us know — we’ll likely be able to help you with it.
The Excel Services page has additional information about all our Excel offerings.