What You Will Learn
This class provides an in-depth look at designing, creating and modifying Excel charts. Discussion and hands-on exercises will teach you to —
- Organize your worksheet data so it will be easy to plot on a chart,
- Pick the right kind of chart to illustrate the point you want you want to make,
- Build a chart and preview different chart types to see which works best for you,
- Specify which data to plot on the horizontal and vertical axes,
- Add, remove and format chart elements, such as titles, axis and data labels, tick marks and grid lines,
- Use graphics to build various chart elements, for example stacked oil drums to represent quantities of oil production or consumption in a column chart,
- Include and exclude data categories and series without modifying the underlying data set,
- Create axis and data labels from formulas so they update automatically when the source data change,
- Link multiple charts to the same data set so they all update simultaneously,
- Build and apply reusable chart templates, and
- Combine several chart types in the same plot area, for example column and line charts (sometimes called an overlay chart).
2 hours, $75 (available for Windows and Macintosh).
- Live class with in-class instructor and interactive student participation,
- Exercise-based, hands-on instruction,
- Emphasis on questions and student participation,
- Small size (limited to 8), personal attention.
Why You Should Take This Class
One picture is worth a thousand words, and that’s especially true when you’re trying to explain complex data.
Excel makes it easy to build charts directly from a worksheet, so long as the source data are arranged appropriately. We start with how to organize your data to facilitate charting and proceed to build and customize charts from that data.
This class is helpful for PowerPoint users as well, since nearly all the features work the same in PowerPoint’s charting tool.
Due to social distancing, all training currently is given as live, on-line video conferences (details)
- This class currently is given on-line as a live, video conference.
- Private training available for your group.
Dates and Registration
Students should have a working knowledge of Excel.
Related Classes and Consulting
We offer Mastering Excel for those with no prior Excel experience. It covers formulas, formatting, sorting and filtering and basic charts. There is an Advanced Excel class for people who want to go to the next level. We also have specialized workshops on Excel Dashboards, Excel Macros, Pivot Tables and Excel Power Pivot.
You can also arrange for consulting, private classes and one-on-one training. See our Excel Topics Page for a list of subjects that can be covered in a private class or one-on-one session. The Excel Services page has more information about all our Excel offerings.