What You Will Learn
This class is designed for database users who want to be able to create, read and modify SQL statements for use with their databases. Class exercises and discussion cover —
- What SQL is and how it can be used with desktop applications such as Access, Excel and FileMaker,
- What SQL can and cannot do,
- Ways of writing SQL,
- SQL syntax, reading, writing and understanding the language,
- The difference between Data Definition Language (DDL) and Data Manipulation Language (DML),
- Using an SQL SELECT statement to choose data to be returned from a database,
- Working with the SELECT statement: SELECT, FROM, WHERE, ORDER BY,
- Specifying conditions for a WHERE clause; using comparison operators, using the IN and LIKE operators,
- Using the ORDER BY clause to sort data,
- Using JOINs to link tables, different kinds of JOINs,
- Introduction to functions in SQL, and
- Using SQL to retrieve data, insert, update and delete records.
6 hours, $260 (available for Windows or Macintosh).
Dates and Registration
Working knowledge of an end-user database application such as Access or FileMaker.